I had some leftover vegetables in my fridge and wanted to make something that is light and refreshing. Few years back when we first moved to Vegas, I attended the luncheon where they served sandwiches... My favorite one was a veggie sandwich, it consisted of grilled eggplant and zucchini with goat cheese, served on sourdough bread. It was soooo delicious! I wanted to make a salad that is healthy and light but still delicious and use grilled vegetables. I love orzo and combined with grilled veggies, fresh tomatoes and refreshing lemon vinaigrette it is a winning combination.
Orzo Pasta Salad
* 1 pound orzo, cooked
* 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
* 1 teaspoon of dry oregano
* 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
* 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
* 1/2 cup olive oil
* 1 teaspoon of salt
*1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
Mix lemon juice, oregano, dijon mustard and lemon peel. After it is all combined, add olive oil in small stream while whisking continuously to make a vinaigrette. Set aside.
* 1 small eggplant, sliced lengthwise into 1/4 slices
* 1 zucchini, sliced lengthwise into 1/4 slices
* 1 yellow squash, sliced lengthwise into 1/4 slices
* 1 medium red onion, sliced lengthwise into 1/4 slices
* 8 oz of steamed broccoli
* 8 oz of steamed cauliflower
* 1 pint of cherry tomatoes
* Handful of cilantro leaves
Steam broccoli and cauliflower till tender, set aside. Brush eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash and red onion slices with olive oil and grill till tender. Chopped in bite size pieces. Cut cherry tomatoes in half, chop cilantro leaves.
In a large bowl combine cooked orzo, grilled veggies, tomatoes, cilantro, and steamed broccoli and cauliflower. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and mix well. add salt and pepper if needed.