Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Daring Cooks Challenge-Vietnamese Chicken Pho


This month's DC challenge is hosted by Jaden from Steamy Kitchen. She choose the Vietnamese Chicken Pho and another additional recipe of Sweet Wontons. I didn't get a chance to make sweet wontons.

The soup is fabulous! There is something very comforting about it. My husband and daughter loved it and requested I make it again. It is a keeper in my kitchen!!!



For the Chicken Pho Broth:

- 2 tablespoons whole coriander seeds
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 whole star anise
- 2 quarts (2 liters/8 cups/64 fluid ounces) store-bought or homemade chicken stock
- 1 whole chicken breast (bone in or boneless)
- 1/2 onion
- 7.5 cm chunk of ginger, sliced and smashed with side of knife
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 500 grams dried rice noodles (about 6 mm wide)

Accompaniments:

- 2 cups (200 grams) bean sprouts, washed and tails pinched off
- fresh cilantro (coriander) tops (leaves and tender stems)
- 1/2 cup (50 grams) shaved red onions
- 1/2 lime, cut into 4 wedges
- Sriracha chili sauce
- Hoisin sauce
- Sliced fresh chili peppers of your choice

To make the Chicken Pho Broth: heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add the coriander seeds, cloves and star anise and toast until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Immediately spoon out the spices to avoid burning. In a large pot, add all the ingredients (including the toasted spices) and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 20 minutes, skimming the surface frequently.
Use tongs to remove the chicken breasts and shred the meat with your fingers, discarding the bone if you have used bone-in breasts. Taste the broth and add more fish sauce or sugar, if needed. Strain the broth and discard the solids.
Prepare the noodles as per directions on the package.
Ladle the broth into bowls. Then divide the shredded chicken breast and the soft noodles evenly into each bowl. Have the accompaniments spread out on the table. Each person can customize their own bowl with these ingredients.

Note: Use same spices as listed in the chicken Pho recipe for pork, seafood and vegetarian/vegan variations. The beef variation lists it’s unique spices in the recipe.

As I did only part of this month's challenge I encourage you to check blogs of my fellow Daring Cooks and see what they've made. You can find them here.

Bon appétit!

8 comments:

  1. I gonna to try this, I take pho almost everyday when I was visited to Vietnam, yum yum..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sylwia, am loving your hearty chicken pho!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love this very much. Will like to add this in my to do list. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So tasty and beautiful with all those wonderful fresh ingredients. Well presented!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job, Sywia. Have I ever told you how much I love your banner?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful job on this challenge! I'm so glad you enjoyed it =D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Altho' i didn't make the Pho Ga, i know that this is as delicious as well. I'm glad that you enjoyed it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love pho soups, I normally order the ones with beef when I go to a Vietnamese restaurant, but a few months ago I also made pho with chicken, and chicken pho really can compete with beef pho. Sooner or later I will certainly make chicken or beef pho again, especially now that winter is almost coming...!

    ReplyDelete